Your profile determines your user preferences for the Insight system. Here is a sample profile:
You can normally edit your profile in two ways:
- Upon first time login to the system, once you've changed your password you'll be taken to your profile and by clicking on the "Edit profile" tab you'll see all of the settings you have control over.
- Or, you can always access your profile through the Administration panel in your course - just click on "Profile" (at the bottom of the block) and then navigate to the "Edit profile" tab:
Once you've navigated to your profile and clicked on the "Edit profile" tab you will see this window:
The above image defines 8 groups of settings that are described in more detail below:
1. Email preferences:
This is where you determine your email settings.
- Email address- this is set to the email address you initially registered with (the default is your CCSF Groupwise email address). This field cannot be edited.
- Email display- you can choose to hide your email address from other Insight @ CCSF users but instructors and the systems administrator will always be able to see your email address
- Email activated- you will need to set this to "This email address is enabled" in order to receive important course communication.
- Email format- choose whether or not to use HTML format or standard web forms based upon your email client or if you use assistive devices for accessibility - most users will leave this to HTML (web-based email clients such as Yahoo!, Gmail, Hotmail, SBCGlobal, etc. use HTML for viewing email).
2. Forum subscription:
Forums in Insight have an automated email/RSS subscription feed that can be setup by your instructor or optionally setup by you. How you'd like to receive emails you are subscribed to and the frequency of these emails is set here. Below are descriptions of the defaults for these settings.
- Email digest type- Subjects (daily email with subjects
only) - allows you to receive only one email a day with the
subject line of all new discussion posts/threads. The other options are: Complete (daily email with complete message) -
allows you to receive only one email a day with the complete
text of all new discussion posts/threads; No digest - you receive one email per post to the
discussion (this results in what looks like SPAM).
- Forum auto-subscribe-No: don't automatically subscribe me to forums - the default for posts you create to forums
- Forum tracking-Yes: highlight new posts for me - allows you to see a notification on your course main page next to each forum of new posts or threads to the discussion forum (but not replies)
3. Accessibility and Browser Compatibility:
These settings are for enabling assistive devices to work with Insight and to help ensure browser compatibilty (examples of browsers are Firefox, Internet Explorer, Netscape, Opera, and Safari).
- When editing text- leave this at HTML editor unless your assistive technology requires you to not use this or if you use the Safari web-browser (Safari is not compatible with the Insight editor). If you are accustomed to coding in HTML you can switch this to standard web forms as well.
- Screen reader- if you use an assistive device to read the content in your browser, change this setting to Yes.
4. Location settings:
These settings are auto-populated from the information in Web4 (your student records) and system defaults.
- You can edit your city/town and country location for privacy but you cannot edit the timezone.
5. Language and Display:
You can set your preferences for the language the system menus display in and for the appearance of your courses (the theme).
- If you change the preferred language, the system menus will display in this language, but this does NOT translate any course content.
- You can set your default theme that you want courses to appear in, but this theme will only apply if an instructor has not set the default theme for their course.
THE FOLLOWING SETTINGS ARE ENTIRELY OPTIONAL
and if set are VIEWABLE by ALL USERS IN THE INSIGHT @ CCSF SYSTEM. NONE OF THE INFORMATION YOU PROVIDE IN THE BELOW SETTINGS IS PRIVATE.
You can add a brief description of yourself that other users in the Insight @ CCSF system can view (this is "public").
You can upload an image for your profile that will display to other Insight @ CCSF users. The image should be small and less than 500kb (not MB) in size - about the size of a thumbnail, icon, or avatar.
8. Optional (other optional settings):
These are additional optional settings that you may provide for viewing by any Insight @ CCSF user. Please DO NOT PUBLISH any information here that you wish to remain private - especially your CCSF Student ID number, any phone numbers, or your personal address. The fields available are:
- Web page
- ICQ number
- Skype ID
- AIM ID
- Yahoo ID
- MSN ID
- ID number
- Mobile Phone